With the cold and dry weather finally giving skin a break, it’s time to get ready to show some more skin!!
Body skin care is often overlooked. Our time, effort and money is most often funneled into taking care of our face… as it is the area of our body we see most often, and prize most. Because of this lack of care, it is most often a neglected body area that gives away our age. Time and time again, I see patients whose’ facial skin appears 10 years younger than the skin on their hands, chest or legs. It’s also because of this wrinkly stained and saggy skin that many women approaching their early 50s come in complaining of feeling old but not being able to afford the quite pricey and aggressive body corrective procedures.
Ladies, we need to start earlier and at home….with quality body skin care! I agree, this is easier said than done but spring time can be an ideal time to research and invest in a nice product or two. Recovery from winter skin will help prep skin for exhibition in the summer and also prioritize spring as a time for body enhancement!!
Even though nutrition, exercise and some TLC from your dermatologist or other aesthetic specialist may be in order… you can begin with the use of a functional product…. And then access if further attention is needed.
Good products for the body are hard to find….they tend to incorporate cheaper ingredients which don’t really do much more than just quench dry skin temporarily! Below, I list a few of my selected favorites. I have bunched them in two phases. The first involves “Polishing and Renew” and the second is “Repair Plump, and Nurturing”. For most, I recommend using one product from each category. You may want to start with a “Polish and Renew” product, then incorporate a “Repair, Plump and Nurture” as you see fit.
PHASE 1: Polish and Repair
– Out with the old and in with the new….let’s get fresh, healthy cells to the skin surface stimulating healthier activity and glow.
Option 1: A Reboot for Dry, Flaky Aged Skin
Exfoliiates and stimulates using only the most scientific ingredients. Skin will rapidly transform and appear more even, smooth and become soft to touch. To be used one to two times daily until you achieve your desired result, then on a weekly basis for maintenance.
- Key Ingredients include:17.7% hydroxyethyl urea/aminosulfonic acid compound (stimulates cellular renewal and restores normal cellular activity), 4% Niacinimide (a form of vitamin B3, calms via anti-inflammatory effects), Hyaluronic Acid (improves hydration capacity). Leaves skin smoother, with improved tone and overall appearance.
- Where? Doctors office, SkinCeuticals.com, $60
Option 2: A Luxurious Gentle Way to Revitalize Skin
This product is a bit pricey but may serve as your go-to product when prepping for a special event. It leaves skin refined, silky and smooth. I know many that use this product prior to doing any skin bronzing. Its ultra-fine texture doesn’t leave any residue, its prefect for assuring polished skin surface.
- Key Ingredients include: Mineral-rich gem powders, rosa centifola, smithsonite extract and La Prairie’s exclusive Cellular Complex.
- Where? Department stores, Cosmetic Boutiques, Online. $125
This product offers the amazing experience of gentle exfoliation, detoxification and nutrient/antioxidant infusion, all in one! Skin is left soft, protected and visibly more radiant. Best applied after shower or bathing.
- Ingredients include: Walnut Shell Powder (gently exfoliates), Witch Hazel, Rosemary, Tea Tree Oil, (balance skin), avocado oil, lactic acid and glycerin (soften skin), Green Tea Extract, Grape Seed Extracts, Grapefruit Extracts and Vitamin A, C, E(antioxidants and vitamins, protect and restore normal function) .
- Where? Online, $40
Option 4: Organic Spa-Like Body Cutis Rejuvenation
This is a rich, pampering sugar based scrub, infused with nutrient rich oils. Leaves skin soft, enriched and radiant. This product is great for those who want to enjoy their pampering experience and disconnect as they truly connect with the products essence.
- Ingredients include: Along with an organic sugar base, many oils infused in this dreamy skin potion. Of these oils, two of the most beneficial are its’ Safflower & Jojoba oil with added Vitamin E. Most of these oils serve to soften, balance and restore skin health. Pure essential oils, (Lavender, Jasmine & Brazilian Rosewood), give it its’ famed relaxing and luxurious scent.
- Where? Online from UK site…but deliver almost everywhere for a price! 32 British Pounds
Option 5: Refreshing and Hydrating Way to Reinvigorate Skin
Using the polishing power of bamboo powder, an essential skin toners and effective detoxifiers, leaves skin feeling fresh, smooth and healthy. Rich emollients are added to assure a hydrated skin base.
- Ingredients include: Bamboo powders (natural silica micro beads exfoliate and renew) Moringa extract (pulls out skin impurities), Mimosa Tenuiflora (nurtures and repairs) and Cyamopsis and Shea (hydrate and protect).
- Where? Online, Cosmetic Boutiques, Department Stores $36
PHASE 2: Repair Plump, Tone and Nurture
-Get active ingredients in to activate healthier cell activity, promote collagen production and improve overall elasticity and tone.
Option 1: Tightening and Smoothing Treatment
This is a hydrating, non-greasy cream which works to stimulate thicker, healthier skin. Although skin visually improves after only one application, the full effect is seen using twice daily application for 8 weeks.
- Ingredients include: NIA-114™+ protein technology to enhance collagen formation and a multitude of vitamin and antioxidant derivatives, essential oils and caffeine.
- Where? Online, DrugStore $59
Option 2: Firming and Skin Strengthening Treatment
This product uses well researched ingredients to reinforce skin weakened by sun and aging. As most of you have guessed….Skin Ceuticals is probably my favorite line of Non-Organic products. They are marvelous at investigating and using high concentrations of safe and efficacious ingredients. This product is relatively new and I was ecstatic to hear they have incorporated wonder-ingredients in a body line…. I have no doubt your skin will transform.
2.5% tripeptide (stimulates natural moisurizing and favors collagen production), 5% yeast extract (smooths and plumps fine lines), 2% hydrolyzed rice protein (helps tighten and firm skin).
- Where? Doctors’ offices, online $75
Option 3 : Organic Plumping, Smoothing and Wrinkle Prevention Treatment
Perfect for those who want and Organic way to stimulate collagen production, improve smoothness and prevent wrinkle formation. To be used only at night.
- Ingredients include: Argan Stem Cell Complex (Argan Stem Cells and Nutmeg Seed actively work to plump, smooth and tighten skin), Monoi oil (from Tahiti), Argan Oil, Evening Primrose Oil, Grapeseed oil, Hyaluronic Acid (derived from mushroom plant). Oils serve to nurture, balance and provide antioxidant protection to the skin.
- Where? Online, Cosmetic Boutiques, Spas $37
Option 4: Organic Nourishing and Refining Serum
This serum is based on organic essential oils. It also incorporates an aromatherapy element and is applied as a body spray. The pumpkin seed oil acts as a natural exfoliant and therefore works to improve cellular turnover and improve overall skin health and appearance. Leaves skin refreshed, smooth and protected. Product options include choice of four natural scents: Lavender decreases tension, Rose enhances wellbeing, Neroli energizes and Chamomile relaxes and calms.
Ingredients include: Organic plant oils. All four feature a base of pumpkin seed oil, which contains natural salicylic acid to refine skin texture. Sea buckthorn oil, is another star ingredient which is known as a anti-aging omega 7 acids.
Where? Online, Cosmetic Boutiques $39
Option 5: A Ultra Hydrating and Contouring Lotion
This lotion introduced to me just recently is getting raving reviews. The skin smoothing results you see after just a couple of weeks. With continued use, up to 81% are claiming firmer skin and even more defined curves as a result of the use of this lotion!
- Key Ingredients: Glycerin Moisturizer/Hydrator, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Vitamin E derivitives, coffee extracts, Aesculus Hippocastanum (Horse Chestnut) Seed Extract, Centella Asiatica Extract, Argania Spinosa Kernel Extract, Pumpkin Fruit extract, Euterpe Oleracea Fruit Extract, Acai Fruit Extract and Myrtle Leaf extract. These natural extracts help tone, soothe and protect the skin via antioxidant properties.
- Where? Find your local Mary Kay Consultant at marykay.com $28
I hope from this list, you find at least a couple that fit your personal philosophy and budget! I know with beauty care, things could get overwhelming; we must prioritize per season as to where to focus our attention. By investing consistently in small beauty protocols and by remembering to enforce with healthy diet and lifestyle, we can age at a more elegant pace. Aging well will ultimately avoid unnecessary consideration of pricey aesthetic procedures which may be drastic or even pose health risks.So let’s start with a few creams!
Some additional insight: Make sure to read instructions as some require twice daily use while others are only recommended at night. I many times recommend the exfoliating, or “peel like”, treatments at night, as they can irritate the skin and may cause concern if exposed to sunshine. I then suggest your vitamin rich, antioxidant creams in the morning, as they offer additional antioxidant protection from the environmental stressors which cause premature aging. For more on antioxidants click here! The exfoliators, once used consistently for a few weeks, can afterward be reserved for a weekly maintenance product (like before a sexy Saturday night out!). If you’re exfoliating product doesn’t incorporate oils or other intense hydrators, I would then lather on a product using regenerating or nurturing oil. I love the Weleda Pomegranate Regenerating Body Oil!!
Finally, remember to use sunscreen if going to be out in the sun for more than 10 minutes!! Protecting yourself from UV radiation is vital to keeping your skin youthful. I won’t discuss products in this post as I have topic on sun protection planned for May! Until then, I wish you luck on your personal Body Project and hope you find joy in watching your skin transform from dull to brilliant this spring!
Cheers to warm nights, mini skirts and keeping it fresh!
To make sure your notified about up and coming posts please follow me on Facebook…. @ AntiAgeingSavantess! I would love your support and to keep you up-to-date on my journey to stay healthy and youthful!!